Friday, October 4, 2013

Table Reading

Today was a table reading of the work I am doing in November called "Dramtic Kojiki".

It is a Japanese Mythology about how Japan was created by Gods and their story afterwards.

You may think that since I am an opera singer, this would be an opera. Well, guess what, it's NOT!

LOL

It is a stage work, with music, dance, narration, visual arts.
This may sound like a musical or an opera.
There are three characters in the show and two of them are dancers(one ballet and one Chinese tradition dance).
Of course, they dance their parts so no talking.
I sing(duh) my part.
And we have a narrator, who will... Well, you can probably guess what a narrator does.

It will be like a tableau of scenes depicting the dynamics of husband and wife Gods "Izanami" and "Izanaki", and also sister and brother Gods "Amaterasu" and "Susano-o"

I will be playing the part of Susano-o.
He is the God of Sea but being a bit of a childish and wild God(more on the childish side), he has been complaining and crying from the beginning because he wants to see his mommy...
So his father(God "Izanaki") got tired of his crying and ranting(which created all sorts of mess=natural disasters on the world his parents created) that he expelled him from his duty as the God of Sea.
Being set free he decides to go see his mother but before doing that, he thought to say hello to his older sister Amaterasu...

The tough part about this show is that no music is written!
Like I mentioned earlier, I will be singing all of my part(and some dancing).
I come to find out later was that most of the part, except for the very end where I will have an aria(solo), I will be doing a recitativo(a dialogue put to pitch to be sung but not a definite melody, it is used for conversation like situation outside of arias and other ensemble pieces) throughout the show.
Well, this is ok but what I am having the hardest time is that I am doing this pretty much ad lib!
Being an opera singer, I am not good at coming up with stuff on a spot...
I am not clever like that, so hopefully this coming two months until the performance, with the music director we can come up with something that is more solid.
Because let me tell you, what I came up with was pretty lame...

Wow, this post has gotten longer than I first intended.

For those who like to read up on Kojiki more, click on the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kojiki


Well, this is all for tonight.

Good night y'all!

No comments: